I have a 17 month old daughter who isn't pointing (to indicate want or show something) or talking yet.
However she does the following:
1. Understands words and commands
2. Points to picture books. But does not point to something she needs. Example - she will try to reach to her milk bottle and if unsuccessful would come crying to me but does not explicitly ask for it by pointing
3. She does babble and I'm hearing gibberish but no idea what any of it means
4. She loves her daycare and shows affection to people there and to us parents
5. She does bring things to me and looks at me if she is playing with any of her toys - either for praise or for me to play with her
6. She responds to her name, responds to no
7. She likes to hold two similar objects in her hand but certainly isn't obsessed and actually plays more functionally when she isn't holding them. She will give the object to me if I ask her to
8. Does not throw any tantrums if taken outside or her routine is disrupted. On the contrary likes it
9. Does protest to no though but listens
10. If said no to something previously, before attemptiong to do that thing again she will look around to see if Im not watching. If not, she will not even attenpt and she has a naughty smile when she looks around. Like she knows she isn't supposed to do it but looking to see if I was watching her
11. She plays with a variety of toys and loves pictures books. She likes when I engage with her
12. One time she was playing with this toy and a song played. She was so excited she looked at me, looked at my husband and then the toy basically saying OMG my song is here. LOL. I guess she shares something of interest with her eye gaze
13. Her gestures are limited. She can wave (on and off), claps/shouts hooray/stomps feet (when playing happy and you know), gives high-five but does not shake her head for no
I'm not sure what to do at this point. The moment you seach on web that a 17 month old isn't pointing to indicate a want or show something of interest, the word autism comes out. Please help. I would really appreciate some feedback.