Skip to main content
Types of support at school

Different types of support at school

If your child is struggling or not progressing as expected at school they may be entitled to extra support - regardless of whether or not they have an autism diagnosis.

Schools regularly test pupils to ensure they are meeting attainment targets. If your child is making less progress than expected in one or more of the following areas, schools should offer extra support:

  • communication and interaction
  • cognition and learning
  • social, emotional and mental health
  • sensory and/or physical needs.

Every school has a budget set aside for special educational needs called SEN support. If they identify a pupil who needs this support, they should notify parents and outline the support and strategies they are putting in place.

This could include access to a teaching assistant, quiet rooms, extra time in tests or other help with other aspects of their learning, for example handwriting.

If you have questions about your child's progress and support needs, the best person to speak to is the school's special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). This is the qualified teacher responsible for coordinating SEN provision. Their responsibilities include identifying children with SEN and making sure there is adequate provision to meet those needs.


Education, Health and Care plan assessments

If your child is still not making progress following SEN support interventions you or the school should consider asking the local council for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan assessment. You do not need a autism diagnosis or permission from the school to do this, but as assessments are school-based it is usually better to request one with the school's support.


Further information about applying for an Education, Health and Care assessments

Read more about Education, Health and Care plans on our website.

Read Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) asking for an EHC needs assessment information. 

Or GOV.UK extra SEN help.