Understanding autism for careers and employability professionals
Ambitious about Autism and its partners are working together to develop, deliver and evaluate the Employ Autism Internship network across English regions. As part of this work experience programme, places on this training are fully funded for professionals working with autistic young people who are seeking employment.
We are training individuals, groups and organisations so they can be confident in supporting applicants throughout the application process. They will share details of our placements with their clients to encourage applications and in return, participate in our longitudinal research project.
The understanding autism for careers and employability professionals course has been developed in partnership with a range of qualified professionals as well as autistic young people, and will support those who are offering careers advice or guidance in a range of settings.
The practical session will support participants to:
- Utilise the latest Transition to Employment toolkit and related resources to adapt their practice and meet the needs of autistic clients.
- Identify how autistic individuals experience the world around them and how autism presents itself differently in individuals through exploring the autism spectrum.
- Identify the key areas of difference; communication skills, social interaction, routine and sensory processing that need to be considered when working with autistic clients.
- Explore the autistic experience, identifying strengths – the talents and skill sets autistic individuals can bring into the work environment; and challenges they may experience but can overcome through implementing workplace adjustments.
- Consider the specific challenges facing autistic people in entering employment, including barriers with job finding and recruitment processes.
- Explore methods and tools to adapt your information, advice and guidance practice to meet the needs of autistic clients.
- Discuss good practice and provide practical solutions to case study examples.
- Reflect on Employ Autism’s learning and consider adjustments to supporting autistic clients in their career search.
- Receive details of the most up-to-date work placement opportunities from Employ Autism.
Once you have completed the training you will be able to:
- Develop and adapt your careers information and guidance sessions for your autistic clients.
- Identify autistic people who would benefit from a work experience placement to develop their skills, confidence and identify their career aspirations.
- Refer and support candidates to successfully apply for the Employ Autism programme.
- Share learning and contacts to increase the reach of the Employ Autism programme to more autistic people.
The course is delivered virtually over four hours, with breaks provided throughout.
21 March 2024 – 12:30 to 16:30
25 April 2024 – 09:30 to 13:30
09 May 2024 – 12:30 to 16:30
30 May 2024 – 09:30 to 13:30
20 June 2024 – 12:30 to 16:30
To all participants
Thank you for your interest in the course. Once you reach the ticket page to complete your booking (one participant only per booking), select either 'training course delegate' or 'general admission'. Please also note:
1. You can subscribe for one session only. In case of a double booking, the latest date will be removed.
2. You won’t be able to access the training through the Eventbrite page. Once subscribed, Ambitious about Autism will forward the relevant Teams link to you. Keep it safe.
3. Recordings and transcriptions won’t be available.
4. We kindly ask participants not to promote their services, programmes and products during the session.
Join the Employ Autism Network to register your interest in the programme and access the support available to you.
Check out our latest 'Understanding autism for careers and employability professionals' flyer.